Thursday, November 18, 2010

More than Just a Pretty Ballet Flat

When was asked as a little girl what I wanted to be when I grow up, I don't think I ever had the answer. I probably considered everything under the sun--teacher, basketball player, artist, mommy... you name it. And now at the ripe old age of 20-something, I can safely say that I've found my niche (for now) and feel pretty comfortable with where I am and who I've become.

Throughout my life and working-world journey thus far, I've admired a lot of women. From Katie Couric and Ann Curry to Julia Roberts and Rachel McAdams, I look up to quite a few leading ladies.

But if I had to choose one woman from the Forbes list of The World's 100 Most Powerful Women who has influenced me the most at this point in my life and career, it would have to be Tory Burch.

I know, gasp. I chose a designer. Here's why.

I wouldn't call myself a fashionista. I'm more of a traditional gal with a little bit of spice. I shop at places like the Gap, Nordstrom, Banana Republic, Kate Spade, Ann Taylor Loft and Neiman Marcus. I wear classics like cashmere sweaters, black slacks, ballet flats and clean, easy-to-mix-and-match items. But I also own red patent leather pumps, trendy jewelry, knee-high boots, leggings, tunics, belted dresses and paint my nails purple.

And I love Tory Burch.

Tory Burch isn't just about providing women with chic clothing and fun-colored shoes. She believes in philanthropy, education, forward thinking, remembering your roots and the willpower to accomplish your dreams. She's an inspiring entrepreneur who cares deeply about the integrity of the product she produces.

Of course, it helps that her product is multi-generational. You'll see toddlers, teenagers, 20-somethings, 50-year-olds and grandmothers all wearing Tory Burch. Her look is timeless and sophisticated with pops of color and energy. The appeal is extraordinary.

But there's one other thing about this leading lady that makes me swoon. She's on Twitter. Now granted, she may or may not have a ghostwriter tweeting on her behalf, but she's there. Tory and her brand are connecting with stay-at-home moms, aspiring designers, nonprofits, the general public, charities and celebrities through the use of social media.

From tweets about her travels to Twitpics from the catwalk, Tory Burch makes both herself and her brand available, engaging the audiences and telling a true life story.

You see, Tory Burch isn't just a bright colored boutique in the middle of a crowded mall.

She's a woman who--like the rest of us--works hard day in and day out. She followed her heart and let her passions lead the way. But most importantly, she believed in herself and her dream. I'm tremendously inspired and greatly influenced by the beauty of Tory Burch as a working woman and as a brand.

Who inspires you in your career? Is there a woman you look up to and admire?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The two women I admire most are two women you've never heard of...one is my best friend Sarah Warner (twitter @sdwarner83) and the other is a social media guru I've grown to love through her blog, twitter and participation in Stratejoy...Marian Schembari (Twitter @MarianSchembari). These are two women taking the world of freelance living by storm. They both encourage and inspire me to figure out how to be my own boss. Through them, I am now developing a plan for where I am going. Thankfully, I am proud to call them my friends. :)

Social Media Working Girl said...

I too am a huge fan of Marian and regularly follow her posts. She's an inspiring 20-something who sets an amazing example both as a freelancer and a woman trying to find her path. Thanks for sharing, Erin!