Sunday, October 17, 2010

Two Years? Really? Already?

So I am super hungover and I had every intention of writing about my hangover on here (a day late might I add since I was drunk as a skunk yesterday watching the Bears game with coworkers), but then I looked on WG and realized that WG1 and I have kinda exhausted that topic. So instead I'm going to talk about my work anniversary.

Yea it's almost my two year anniversary at my current job. My how time flies! And I mean that. I still tell people that I just recently moved to Chicago from New York. Um, false. It's been almost two years and I literally can't believe it.

Moving here was a big deal for me. After college, I had my eyes set on New York City. WG1 and I had lived there during our summer before senior year and I was enamored. In my eyes, New York was where I belonged and nothing was gonna stop me from living there. Oh wait, yes there was. That little thing called money. So I ended up living in Hoboken (which I loved) with WG1 and working in NYC.

In theory, I should have been really happy. But I wasn't.

I didn't love my job or my company (loved my coworkers tho!). Our apartment was a cess pool of gross (windows fell in, the ceiling fell in, and it was just ew). And while I loved having my college friends around, I think at the time we were all very stuck in the college rut of working during the week, watching TV, and then partying so hard on the weekends that doing anything else seemed like a lot to ask.

I was in a rut. And I did the only thing that seemed like it might make me happy. Moved back to Chicago. And now I've been here two years.

Moving back to Chicago was a big risk. Sure, I had my family nearby and my high school friends. But coming back was like starting over. And I can honestly say now at my (almost) two-year anniversary that I'm really happy I did make the move.

For the most part, I really do like my job and I love that I've come to learn that events is where I belong...at least for now. I love being near my family and my HS friends, but I also love that I've met all sorts of new people including my coworkers (who I hang out with a lot!) and my new blogger friends. I love that I have more balance in my life and that I've joined clubs and read more books and see more movies. I love my new life.

I'm really happy I took the risk. And that it paid off in the end.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I'm glad it worked out for you. It's so hard to make the decision to move somewhere or not. I've been in my current job for over 2 years now too. I live in the city over from where I went to college, my family is 4 hours away. i have met a lot of great people that I didn't expect I would. So much has happened in 2 years that it's insane. I'm still growing up every day with all the responsibilities that working full time and living on your own brings.
I feel like I'm still in the "college rut" too. I still stay up late and drink almost every weekend lol

Ad Working Girl said...

Wow. It's really been two years?! Really?! Time flies when you're having fun, I guess. Just had to throw in my two cents to say that I'm so glad you feel the risk paid off. It definitely seems like you're living the fabulous life in Chicago and loving (almost) every minute of it. Keep up the great work! (Though I have no doubt you will) :)