Saturday, May 28, 2011

Confessions of a Travel Junkie

Site of my next vacation - Costa Rica

I want to confess to you all that I am a travel junkie...which is unfortunately an oxymoron in the US since we Americans get basically zero vacation time in comparison to other countries around the world - in my case, a measly 10 days (and 2 personal days woo!).

Let's look at the basic facts. In addition to a few national holidays, the average American gets two to three weeks off per year. But (and there is always a but), a recent poll from Reuters/Ipsos poll found that only 57% of workers use all of their vacation days, compared with a 89% of workers in France. [CNN]

This concept BOGGLES my mind. Here are my facts. I get 12 vacation days and a handful of long weekends off from work. I'm going to use all those days to get to as many places as I possibly can. In 2011 alone, I have traveled already to New Zealand and just purchased a ticket to Costa Rica. Why? Because I have vacation time and I plan to use it.

To me, it's all about time budgeting. I'm lucky enough to live near my family so I don't need to take time off to fly anywhere for Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. But my family and I do sometimes go away for the holidays. In which case, we usually don't take time off to do so. Holiday weekends are perfect for traveling around the US, Canada or Mexico. Just this past Thanksgiving, my family and I went to Toronto for 4 days just to explore the city and do something different than sit at home and carve a turkey. Last Memorial Day weekend, my Dad and I took my sister to Nashville for her birthday.

We save the big vacations for taking time off work. My trip to New Zealand cost me 5 days of work, my trip to Costa Rica will be 4, and then I will take an odd day off here and there for weddings.

And at the end of the year, I will have zero (maybe even some negative) hours left to take off. But it will be worth it because I will have seen new parts of the world and taken days away from my desk. Because honestly it's not just about seeing the world and experiencing new things. It's about taking time away from the people, the office drama, the work piling up on your desk. It's about getting away for a while and not thinking about it. And everyone needs time to do that.

It is your right as an employee to take your time off. And even if it's just to sit at home and watch TV, I seriously get heated when I hear people say they have time rolling over to the next year because that means that they spent almost the entire year chained to their desk. And that's just not healthy.

WG1 actually sent me this article from CNN on why America is the "no-vacation nation". And it quoted John de Graaf, the national coordinator for Take Back Your Time, a group that researches the effects of overwork and he is quoted as saying, "There is simply no evidence that working people to death gives you a competitive advantage." Apparently the US came in 4th in the World Economic Forum's 2010-2011 rankings of the most competitive economies. 4th! We were outranked by Sweden - a country that offers workers 5 weeks of paid vacation!

This to me is proof enough that we need to take back control of our vacation by simply taking vacations where we don't need to answer the phone or check our email or be in touch with people at the office.

Either that, or move to Sweden.

12 comments:

GUAMtastic said...

Tell me about it... I had to use all of my vacation in order to have a baby. Why can't they give us 2 years maternity leave like Germany??

MonsteRawr said...

At least you get paid vacation! I would KILL for 10 vacation days! I'm paid per diem, so if I take any time off, I'm not being paid. So sure, I have a week off this week, and we're probably going to take a great little trip up to Montreal. But if I had the opportunity to be working all week instead, you bet your ass I would be, because I'm not being paid right now.

Neurotic Workaholic said...

I wish I could take a vacation. My passport expired, but I didn't bother to renew it because I haven't traveled outside the country in ten years. Teachers do get summers off, but those of us who are underpaid can't afford to take vacations. So I'm toiling away on my summer "break" by working multiple jobs so I can pay my bills.

Felix said...

The truth is, who isn't a travel junkie? I can't begin to count the places I would love to see but just couldn't afford it! Some of us has got to work...

Adria said...

Costa Rica is one of my favorite places in the world :)

mynet sohbet said...

Chat kelimesinde google d eilk sayfaya gelme planımız var. tabı ondelik mYnet Sohbet kelimesin de yukselmek bunu yaptıktan sonra sıra Sohbet Siteleri kelimesinde iyi bir yere gelmektir

medicine forum said...

Very interesting thanks. I believe there's even more that could be on there! keep it up

drugs advice said...

Very interesting thanks. I believe there's even more that could be on there! keep it up

buy hydrocodone online said...

There are some very great sources here and thank you for being so kind to post them here.

Baju Muslim said...

Thanks lot for this useful article, nice post

literature review definition said...

Americans get basically zero vacation time in comparison to other countries around the world - in my case, a measly 10 days (and 2 personal days woo!)

dissertation proposal said...

it is quite best post.