Monday, May 9, 2011

Mixing Coworkers and Chasers

by Editing Working Girl

Another Cinco de Mayo has come and gone as have the celebrations that come with it. Add on other 'American drinking holidays' like St. Patrick's Day and really anything having to do with sporting events and there is the potential to be a Working Girl Mess.

I attend a lot of networking events as a freelancer, and as I am representing myself, I usually only drink one glass of wine (and instead double up on the business cards). Then there are times when I am representing my company at blog conferences or events like SXSW with the parties and cocktail hours and concerts and the lines between coworkers and friends are blurred, along with the amount I may have had to drink.

As a runner, I don't usually get into awkward alcohol situations, because I am usually training for a race and avoiding it altogether. Even so, there are times where I do drink in front of coworkers. Next week, for example, we have a team outing scheduled involving a tour of the city, on a "bus" of sorts that is powered by us - by pedaling - while drinking beer and wine.

Here comes my question for fellow Working Girls: what is the appropriate amount to drink on this afternoon excursion? What about at Happy Hours or other company networking events?

I usually avoid this situation by simply keeping my relationship with coworkers professional. Personally, I don't want my coworkers to know how much I drank the other night or how I look when I dance downtown or even what my drink of choice is. Have any of you had an embarrassing Working Girl story that involved alcohol?

10 comments:

Cindy said...

My issue is not how much I drink but how little I drink in front of my coworkers. I've never gotten drunk, nor do I drink on a regular basis. My coworkers, however, enjoy getting drunk on a regular basis. When we travel on business and find ourselves in a more casual environment, they like to see how much they can get me to drink. The most has been 1.25 drinks. It's amusing to them, but I wish my coworkers didn't make me feel it was socially unacceptable to refrain from drinking alcohol.

Career Girl Network Marcy said...

Ahhh, Pedal Pub! It's a Minneapolis institution, recently moved to Chicago (coincidentally at the same time I moved to Chicago). You'll be happy to know that there's actually much less focus on drinking on a Pedal Pub than there is on yelling at people on the street and literally pedaling.

Overall, I'd say limit yourself to 2-3 drinks and you'll be fine. If your company is cool enough to do a Pedal Pub experience, you're good to go with a few drinks.

Anonymous said...

I always limit myself to 2 drinks. No more than that unless I am out with friends and not coworkers. I nurse those drinks and pay close attention to them. I am also the type that gets really annoyed around drunks, so if the others have had too much, I leave.

mynet sohbet said...

Chat kelimesinde google d eilk sayfaya gelme planımız var. tabı ondelik mYnet Sohbet kelimesin de yukselmek bunu yaptıktan sonra sıra Sohbet Siteleri kelimesinde iyi bir yere gelmektir

medicine forum said...

This is good site to spent time on .I just stumbled upon your informative blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your very well written blog posts. I will be your frequent visitor, that's for sure.

drugs advice said...

You made some good points .I did a little research on the topic and found that most people agree with your blog. Thanks.

Busana Muslim said...

nice your blog

China tours said...

Thanks. I always enjoy reading your posts - they are always humorous and intelligent.I am a china tour lover,You can learn more: Beijing tours | Guilin travel guide | Lhasa sightseeing

Unknown said...

What is the Sole Proprietorship?
Establishing a sole proprietorship is cheap and relatively uncomplicated. You don't have to file any papers to set it up -- you create a sole proprietorship just by going into business. In other words, if you'll be the only owner of the business you're starting; your business will automatically be a sole proprietorship, unless you incorporate it or organize it as an LLC. Of course, you do have to get the same business licenses and permits as any other company that goes into the same business
sole proprietor

Hasan said...

Very good blogspot
Mobil Chat Sohbet
Mynet Sohbet thanks you