Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Everybody Make Mistakes. Everybody Has Those Days.

by Working Girl One

(Name that song!)

Over the course of my short career I have found that in publishing when someone makes a mistake, it is the end of the world. Really. You're either thinking that I'm being super dramatic or you know exactly what I'm talking about.

With the way some people react to things, you'd think I was working in an operating room and was responsible for life and death.

A friend of mine recently told me about a friend of hers, a nurse, who misplaced a human organ at work. A human organ (!!!). It was needed for testing or something, she wasn't exactly sure. One would think this is pretty big deal but all this person had to do was sign some papers and that was that. No yelling, no snarky emails, no CC-ing of your boss and your boss's boss and your boss's boss's boss.

I turned to another friend who was listening to the story and also works in publishing.

"Seriously?" I said. "Someone actually loses a human organ and it's no big deal and when I have a typo in an email to a client, people act like I've killed someone?!"

Often, a huge deal is made of something that is not that huge. When mistakes are made or projects don't go as planned, it's absolutely necessary to review what happened and learn from it.

But wouldn't it be great, if everyone would take a moment to take a step back, think about the situation and remember that most of us aren't saving lives? A lot of time could be saved and stress avoided.

9 comments:

PR Working Girl said...

hilarious!

Amanda Lynn said...

SO SO true! I really really wish that people would take a break sometimes and think about that!

Anonymous said...

I completely, wholeheartedly agree. Have some nightmarish memories of snarky bosses and cc-ing of e-mails and so on ...

MonsteRawr said...

It's sort of like how I have to remind myself every now and then that everyone was green once. Sure, the new girl just hung every fixture upside down, but I made more than my fair share of boneheaded mistakes when I was new. As long as someone's willing to learn from their mistakes, mistakes are totally allowed.

Anonymous said...

This is so true! I work in events, not publishing, but like you, if I make a mistake, its the end of the word. I know exactly how you feel.

Baju Muslim said...

nice

cheap hajj packages said...

This is the ideal post for someone who desires to be familiar with this subject. You certainly place a new turn on a topic that’s been on paper about for years. well. Cheap umrah PackagesFabulous material, your post is absolutely impact a read if somebody comes across it. I didn’t grasp that this subject was so vital. You undeniably place it in perception for me.

Cheap flights To Harare said...

Thanks for an insightful post. These comments are really helpful. Cheap umrah Packages I found a lot of useful tips from this post Professional IT certification exams prove as a doorway to keep people update about their, and more detail.

China tours said...

What a beautiful dragonfly and what wonderful post!!I am a china tour lover,You can learn more: China travel | China vacation packages | China and Asia tour packages