Thursday, August 21, 2008

All By Myself

After a long day of travel, I have arrived safely on the west coast. A very rainy and cold part of the west coast. The magazine is hosting an in-store event for one of our advertisers tonight and I'm in charge.

When I arrived last night, I met with the store manager and talent for the event to have a site inspection. A site inspection is just a fancy way of saying "checking out the venue." I was nervous. The store manager is in her late 30's and so is the talent. I'm 23. They didn't know my age, obviously. But they discovered that I was young and not exactly uber experienced when it was time for the business card exchange. I don't have any. Assistants don't get them, which I can understand. Assistants usually aren't jet-setting across the country to manage events. But I am and I'd like business cards, thankyouverymuch.

The event isn't until 6:30 tonight, so I have the day to kill. And by kill, I mean I have to sit in a coffee shop for the next two hours and actually do my work for the day and make-up for the work I missed yesterday. I stayed up until after midnight New York time last night on my laptop sending e-mails, organizing excel sheets and booking travel for my boss.

Sitting in this coffee shop, I've been more productive over that past two hours than I think I have ever been on any given day at work. There is something about being in your weekend clothes, sipping coffee and listening French pop songs that make me work better. It probably also helps that I didn't have a ringing phone next to me or sales reps popping by my desk to ask me questions (that they should already know the answers to).

I'm off to go find some lunch. Confession: I've never gone to a restaurant and eaten by myself. Thank god I have an unread issue of People. I'll update later about how the event went.

18 comments:

ceemee said...

Good luck on your event, WG1!
Relaxing atmospheres sometimes do bring out the best in us.

Anonymous said...

I've had a few embarrassing business card situations. I don't have any of my own, but when I have to receive them I don't know what to do.

hope your event went well!

Ken Duck Geraths said...

When you get home you tell the powers that be, you want cards...and nice ones too!

Tassie said...

I don't like to eat by myself in restaurants that have servers. I can only handle counter service when I'm flying solo.

Anonymous said...

Hey WG1! I totally understand the awkwardness of eating alone- why is it that we are so uncomfortable doing so? In my last job, I tended to go grocery shopping when I was on the road rather than have to eat alone at a restaurant. I hope your experience went well! Best, MG

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your event! I'm sure you will rock it!
Wouldnt it be lovely if we all got to work in nice coffee shops from now on!!
ah a girl can dream!

Meaghan said...

Coffee shops are for getting work done, I totally agree with ya! After doing the office thing for several years I decided to go to law school, sick of having bosses. While there I did most of my studying in coffee shops, about 8 hrs a day. It was great and after a while I started getting free coffee :)

Enjoy the West Coast.

Just A Spoonful of Sarcasm said...

I'm totally with you with the business cards. Though, so far, I have never had the occassion to hand one over....but I'd like one just the same.
As for eating alone. Ohhhh, I can't do that either. So uncomfortable.

Anonymous said...

Oi. I hate it when my age shows. Usually I can pass for anywhere between 18-26 depending on how I'm dressed. I always just hope they think I'm older at events because they really do treat me differently if they know I'm 'just a kid' aka 22.

It's so great to hear I'm not the only one who is more productive out of the office! That makes me wish I could always wear wkend clothes and work off of coffee shop internet.

Good luck with your event!

Elizabeth Marie said...

I have to note that it's so much better to be able to politely decline exchanging cards then to go ahead and give someone a card that essentially says you are a lower level employee with no special title and no reason to have such a card. I have done this. The boss made me.

Good luck at your event girl!

Anonymous said...

That sounds so nice. I wish I could master the art of working in a coffee shop. I get so distracted by the patrons that rarely have I been productive

Kristin Zuvich said...

www.vistaprint.com

You can get business cards for free. I'm a college student, and it's come in handy plenty of times in my internship at a television network.

Well worth the 2 or 3 bucks in shipping and handling.

Robin L Greenslade said...

WG1 hope you have a GREAT time here on the West Coast, and that your business matters turn out to be pleasant. Hopefully you are somewhere where the weather is sunny and warm, but not too smoggy.

I don't mind eating by myself as long as I have a good book with me, I can sit some place where my back is not to the rest of the diners, and there is something to look at other than the other patrons or waitstaff. I love to people watch, and can gazeout of a window and enjoy dining in peace.

honey said...

good luck with the event !!

me2 ive never eaten in a resturant by myself

Marion said...

you are adorable! One of the biggest things I ever made myself face was eating out alone when I had to travel for work. You will have business cards soon. ;}

Ms. Salti said...

For some reason, when I'm at a coffee shop doing work, I too, get more accomplished. I also tend not to care what time it is. I'll stay working at a coffee shop until 6 PM on a Friday, but have a hard time staying at the office past 4:30 or 5.

Eating out by yourself isn't as bad as it seems. Just take something with you to read... you'll be too preoccupied to be worrying what other people think of you! Hope the party went well!

Krista said...

If I'm eating alone, I always pick an Italian restaurant so I don't have to share the bread basket :)

Alexandreena said...

I find eating alone in nice restaurants one of the biggest perks of solo business travel. I hope you were able to enjoy it!