Friday, April 3, 2009

Meeting Notes

Meeting Notes is a weekly feature. Here we will dish on tidbits, news, and important things we think you Working Girls should know. So scroll down to hear what we think you should glean from this work week.

  • A new study recently revealed that women in the American work force are changing their attitudes. According to the study, young women with children are just as ambitious in the workplace than women without children. 3,500 workers were surveyed and the results revealed that 69% of mothers under age 29 say they want to move up the career ladder, while 66% of women without children have the same ambition.

  • WG1 recently spoke about her new obsession with Mint.com, a site dedicated to helping you track just exactly where all that money is going (my guess is the bar?). If you're looking for a different way to track your money as well as pay off your credit card and student loan debt, try Fabulously Broke in the City's budgeting sheets on for size. I am so jealous that she is debt free!
  • Do you think today's thirty-somethings are more focused on their emotional fulfillment than their careers? Lorraine Candy, editor of UK Elle magazine, does. In a recent article, the editor talked about her most recent online survey where she asked women about to turn 30 what their priorities in life were. She was surprised to find that 70% prioritize relationships over promotions at work.
  • This fact peaked my interest - women really do shop to cheer themselves up! A new study of 443 women (aged 18-50) showed that women spent more money within the 10 days leading up to their "visit from Aunt Flo".

2 comments:

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

WOW! *blush* Thanks for putting my sheet and me on the blog. Such an honour.

Just so everyone knows, for the month of April, all proceeds except for 15% (that is earmarked for the Canadian Cancer Society) will be going to a charity called FreeGeek.ORG.

So please, buy away! Or click away on my site on the ads. I'm donating everything I've earned in April.

Thanks again WG :D

Fabulously Broke in the City

"Just a girl trying to find a balance between being a Shopaholic and a Saver."

A Dilettante's Perspective said...

As I approach 30, I realize that I miss all the things I passed up in order to devote time to advancing my career: time with family, time with friends, travel. I can't get that time back. When I look back at my accomplishments, which are many, I don't feel the same happiness as when I look back at memories made with those I love. So, I understand that study and really feel like I should have listened to those who have told me not to spend so much time and energy on work.