Monday, August 10, 2009

Julie & Julia Makes Me Want to Go Work

I just got home from seeing the movie Julie & Julia and I feel super energized/motivated to just do something! Anything! Maybe even cook (or not because WG1 is the cook/baker...I could burn water).

I think we all know that the story centers around Julie Powell, author of the blog the Julie/Julia Project, and superstar chef Julia Child. Originally, I didn't really want to see this movie since I definitely want to be a foodie, but I definitely am not (I could eat chicken fingers every night for dinner if asked). But my dad offered to take me to see the movie and out to dinner and I can't pass up a free meal/movie, so I accepted. And to say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement.

Don't worry! I don't intend to put up any spoilers! I just want to talk about how inspiring these two women are to WG's.

I know I am young. I'm only 24. I've only been out of school for 2 years. But I'm sure if you read this blog quite often, you know that this was not the career I pictured myself falling into. Right now I currently work in marketing and corporate event planning, and while I love it I know it's not my first true love (because if it was I probably wouldn't be writing this blog). Yes, everyone, I too, like many other bloggers, want to be a writer. I have wanted to be a writer since I was a little girl. I used to write books when I was 10! But sometimes paying the bills is more important than finding a job that makes you want to jump out of bed at 6AM every morning because you're so excited to be there.

Watching Julie Powell and Julia Child being portrayed in this movie tonight reminded me that being happy at work is essential. Julie Powell blogs her way to success after not finding satisfaction with her job that pays the bills, and Julia Child found her calling in cooking much later in life after dabbling somewhat in espionage. Yes, espionage. And it made me want that feeling - that after I leave my 9-to-5, I want to feel like I accomplished something.

And so right now I can't be a stay-at-home writer, but I can appreciate that I finished everything on my to-do list today or that I kicked ass in a meeting. Find happiness in the little things until you find that big thing that makes you jump with joy.

What they Powell and Child had in common in this movie was finding joy in what they do. And really this should serve as an inspiration to all us WG's. If you find joy in what you do for a living, then ultimately you will lead a happier life - that's the lesson I learned today while at the movies.

P.S. Sorry if this post makes zero to little sense. After the movie, my dad and I hit up Filipo's (which was AMAZING - go there!) after the movie where we each finished a bottle of scrumptious wine. And then to top it off, our server Annette, loved us so much she made us take shots of limoncello with her that was made with Everclear. Yea, not a good idea. Everybody in the club getting tips(y).

15 comments:

kage said...

I can't wait to see the movie! I love the ones where you leave feeling inspired. You're right to be realistic though. We can't all just quit our jobs and be stay at home writers until we find a big break, but we can work on finding the happiness in what we already have and work with that.....and if you can't find even an inch of happiness, then shit....I guess it's time to move on! And that's what I'm doing!!! Back to school I go! Goodbye working girl, hello student discount girl!

Storm. Kat Storm. said...

I really want to see this movie, both my mom and aunt are raving about it. In fact, I've never heard anything BAD about it. I adore Meryl Streep.

Anonymous said...

I think everyone makes some sacrifices in their line of work. Not everyone gets to do what their passion is, and that's why it's so important to be passionate in what you do outside of work. Or find happiness in the small things you do do at work that fulfill a bit of that passion. My job is absolutely not what I want to do for the rest of my life. But I'm focused on my dream and working towards it, that's what keeps me going day to day. Hopefully one day, I'll be passionate about what I do at work and outside of work.
I can't wait to see the movie!

Rika The Lost Wanderer said...

wew it's that a new movie? Haven't seen the ads yet, wondering when it will come to Singapore. Well if you do what you love, then money and success and all good things will come along :) Good luck!

Amy said...

I saw this movie Saturday with a friend and we both admitted to tearing up a little! I love to cook but more than that it's just beautiful to watch someone find joy in what they do. We should all be so lucky!

Unknown said...

I also saw the movie this weekend and had a similar feeling upon exiting the theater. Check out my review here: www.numbersnotinvited.com - I think you'll sympathize, as I did with yours!

xo,
Bridget Marie

Abby said...

When I first saw the previews for this, I was skeptical. It didn't seem like a movie I would pay to go see, but might put on my Netflix list. But...it has received such great reviews, I just may have to go to the theater! Plus, I'm on a cooking rampage lately and this might inspire me ;)

Herding Cats said...

Can't wait to see the movie! The book is one of my favorites!

Kim Axani said...

Heard this was a gooder, I will have to see it. It looks like a movie you wouldn't think of watching, but be pleasantly surprised you did..

Amber said...

Great post!!! I'm excited to see this movie but I kind of want to read the book first!

Izzy said...

Thanks for sharing the link to the original Julie blog -- I honestly had no idea it was based on a real story!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see this movie! I am glad you had a good time.

Bayjb said...

Great post. I LOVED this movie. Meryl totally made me tear up and I could have watched her all day. Julie, was, okay. Not overwhelming but the piece with the lobsters and chicken was hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see this.

Melanie's Randomness said...

ME TOO!!! I just found your blog and yes I am too a working girl. I've been reading your blog and your very motivating. I am 24 too and just graduated college. Julie & Julia actually made me start this blog. lol. It's really made me want to start something.

Hope you having a good day!