Thursday, August 6, 2009

Working Girl Cooks: Cooking For One

I spend a lot of time thinking about food. Mainly, what I'm going to have for dinner. I love reading food blogs and watching the Food Network, but I have a difficult time cooking meals for one. I take that back, it's pretty easy to pan-fry some chicken and put some greens on a plate. But a Working Girl can only eat so much chicken.

I'm a fairly new cook. My news year's resolution, which I've finally decided to start practicing, was to cook or bake something new once a week. I've yet to find a site or blog that focuses on cooking for one, so I've decided to start a bi-weekly feature here on Working Girl called Working Girl Cooks.

Inspired by a friend's tweet, I decided to cook goat cheese and roasted corn quesadillas. Corn is one of my favorite summer veggies, and I'll eat practically anything with goat cheese.

The original recipe can be found here. Below is the WG1 version.

Ingredients
Half a bag of frozen corn
Half a container of crumbled goat cheese
6 corn tortillas (6-inch)
Salsa

Instructions
I defrosted the corn in the microwave and then sauteed the corn in a pan over medium heat. In the future, I would follow the original recipe more closely and use fresh corn, since I suspect it may brown a little nicer.
I then transferred the corn to a bowl and combined the goat cheese. Yum.


I put the mixture onto the tortilla and topped with some salsa. I then put the tortilla in the pan until the tortilla browns a bit. I topped with another tortilla and flipped! I then repeated with a new tortilla.


I made three tortillas, had some salsa on the side for dipping and some diced avocado because I just love avocado. Almost as much I love goat cheese. Voila!

25 comments:

Amy said...

I'll have to try that combo- I put salsa on everything. You would definitely heart the goat cheese stuffed tomatoes I made last night!

Unknown said...

Yum, I LOVE goat cheese!

Katness said...

Mmm... sounds just lovely. I'm trying to stop eating chicken, so this all veggie recipe comes handy.That's a good idea to try to cook something new once a week. In a year you'll be almost a pro already!

ceemee said...

That looks yummy! I love corn!

Here's a site that might also help you. I think the author is cooking for one also. http://cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.blogspot.com/

jinx said...

I don't know the taste of goat cheese.. Maybe I'll try it one time just to know... I'd love to cook also but found no time to do it..

Amy said...

That looks gooooood...I'll try it for sure! I love this idea for a feature. Cooking for one is definitely a drag--any tips would be fantastic.

michelle said...

looks good! I'll have to try it :D

Jessie said...

i definitely have to try this. looks awesome!

Caitlin said...

This is a great idea! I love to cook, but I don't love eating the same thing for dinner, then lunch, then dinner, then probably another lunch. We should pitch Cooking for One to the Food Network.

Anonymous said...

My recommendation would have been to throw the corn in the pan still frozen. It takes only a couple minutes to heat up and would have behaved more like fresh.

Progressive Momma said...

Sounds yummy! I may have to try it out!

Lauren Jade said...

I've been trying to cook more often ...its difficult to come up with new ideas that are easy. thanks for this!

Herding Cats said...

That looks so amazing! Definitely trying that one!

Anonymous said...

Check out the Closet Cooking blog (http://closetcooking.blogspot.com/). He does all sorts of great recipes for one.

[Excuse the Anonymous comment, Blogger keeps freezing when I use OpenID]

MonsteRawr said...

Sounds yummy!
Another suggestion, if you find a recipe on AllRecipes.com that you like, you can change the number of servings and it will convert all the measurements for you. Comes in handy when there's just two of us at home. (Of course, most of the time we make the full recipe and either freeze or eat the leftovers over the next week.)

Erin Helgerson said...

I looovvveee goat cheese. i never thought of mixing it with the corn! Such a great idea! XO!

Tales From A Bar Stool said...

Sounds delicious! I also have a problem cooking for one. I always end up making too much and eating the same thing for days on end. I get bored of the standard solo person food like canned tuna and salad. Blah.

Unknown said...

This sounds good! I do something similar using salsa and shredded cheddar on the inside instead. Delicious!

Sandra Costa said...

well, i'm hungry now..
:S

Sarah said...

I like that you added this feature. It's def. hard to cook for just one.

Here's another site that you might want to get ideas from:
http://cookingwithgeeks.com/ -it's pretty funny and their recipes are good.

another good site is www.5dollardinners.com -this site is awesome and can show you how to save money.

hope that helps you out.

Mrs. Priss said...

YUM!!! Okay, it's definitely lunch time, haha.

kokostiletto said...

i love watching the food network...

flying eagle woman said...

that's fun. i used to cook and even loved baking when my kids were young. they're not any more and i feel like i have better use for my time:-) thanks for the recipe!

KennQ29 said...

lovable cheese! really love to try this at home. can't wait to have one

China tours said...

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it, I have you bookmarked to check out all the new stuff you post.I am a china tour lover,You can learn more: Beijing tour packages | travel to guide | Lhasa Tourist Attractions